Quantum Matter Group Links
Physics Course Page
Part II, Lent/Easter
(Prof. R. J. Needs)
Lectures take place in the Pippard Lecture Theatre, 10 am on Tuesdays
and Thursdays during Lent Term, and at 10 am on Tuesdays, Wednesdays
and Fridays for the first two weeks of Easter Term.
- J. Singleton, Band Theory and the Electronic Properties of Solids.
- C.Kittel, Introduction to Solid State Physics.
- N.W.Ashcroft and N.D.Mermin, Solid State Physics.
- J.M.Ziman, Principles of the Theory of Solids.
- H. Ibach and H. Lueth, Solid State Physics.
- M.P. Marder, Condensed Matter Physics.
- G.Grosso and G.P.Parravicini, Solid State Physics.
In many key areas, the book by Singleton (which started as a lecture handout in Oxford)
covers the course well. The books by
Kittel and Ashcroft&Mermin are useful for other areas not covered
in the Singleton book as well as for background reading and context.
Complete set of overheads (Lent+Easter).
Set of supplementary notes.
Problem sheet 1.
Problem sheet 2.
Problem sheet 3.
Problem sheet 4.
Outline solutions will be made available here at the end of Lent term, for the Lent part of the course, and after the end of lectures, for the Easter term part of the course .
Past exam papers:
2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004